From Karsten Br├Ąckelmann <guent...@rudersport.de>
Subject Re: Pulling my hair out
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 00:10:00 GMT
On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 16:50 -0700, Adriene Harrison wrote:
> SA is only for mail servers?! I wish that had been made clear on the
> SA website. Even now looking at the homepage and FAQ page I see
> nothing to that effect. But thank you all who responded for clearing

As I said, server-side filtering is the intended use -- but, yes, it
does work client-side, too. Granted, helps a great lot, if your mail
client provides integration glue. And of course, if you're running e.g.
Linux, where installing SA usually is a breeze. But I digress...

>  this up. I was beginning to think I must have taken a stupid pill
> when I woke up this morning. I inferred from Thunderbirds settings
> "trust junk mail headers set by SA" to mean I needed SA. Apparently

This means what the words say -- *trust* the headers, usually injected
somewhere server-side, to have the client act upon it, if there are no
dedicated spam folders on the server, for example. Trust is key here,
because anyone in the chain could have added these headers, and it makes
sense only, if you know you *are* running SA on your server, nearby.

That setting won't work as you hoped for anyway. It doesn't call SA.

>  not. Not very clear on their part. Thanks to everyone who replied so
> quickly.

Another related note:  While I do know (from various experiences), that
running SA server-side is much superior to running any light-weight
client spam filter -- SA uses too much resources (most of all pure
time), to be really useful client-side with any substantial amount of
spam or ham messages to scan.

In such a case, if server-side is not an option, I'd recommend to try
some client filters first. Like the Thunderbird built-in one...

(c=*++x); c&128 && (s+=h); if (!(h>>=1)||!t[s+h]){ putchar(t[s]);h=m;s=0;
}}}