From Jason Haar <Jason.H...@trimble.co.nz>
Subject large unicode email nails CPU
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 01:17:30 GMT
Hi there

We're got a few people subscribed to Serbian mailing-lists, and one in
particular is having difficulty getting email to us - spamc/spamd times
out and is never able to process the message. While it is running, spamd
takes 100% of the CPU for 1.5+minutes.

Here's an example: http://pastebin.com/m75f39d72

strace shows spamd running around looking for unicore/lib/gc_sc files -
which is related to unicode "stuff". I don't know if that's the problem
- but that's all I could find. "spamassassin -D " doesn't show anything
strange other than massively long times to process DNSBLs. They are not
believable: the "slow" DNSBLs change from invocation to invocation (of
the same message), and "dig" shows no such issues - the DNSBLs SA says
are taking 99sec to complete return instantly via dig (and yes, local
caching DNS). Also, it is specifically a problem with these emails - in
general we are not seeing any problems with any other email.

We've also got SA in several countries, all on CentOS5 servers
(perl-5.8.8,spamassassin-3.2.5-1) and they all show the same symptoms -
so I don't think it's network related but rather CPU: basically these
emails nail SA and it's slow to finish for them?

Any ideas? Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417