From DAve <>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: SpamAssassin is EXTREMLY slow
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 21:42:11 GMT
alexus wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM, David Morton <> wrote:
>> Karsten Br├Ąckelmann wrote:
>>> Dude, you just lost a credit point... ;)
>>> Everyone, if you feel the urge to contribute to this thread any further,
>>> please first *do* check the list archives -- this pointless thread comes
>>> up like once a year. If you believe you can come up with a convincing
>>> argument that has *not* been mentioned and turned down before, and which
>>> takes "active contributors code Perl" into account... please try.
>> Agreed. Anytime anyone starts talking about speed and languages, I roll
>> my eyes.  Seriously, unless you are a developer and have actually run
>> code through a profiler to know what areas are running "slow", you are
>> not qualified to make such statements.
>> If you *have* run the code through a profiler and can prove that a
>> majority of time is spent inside a language construct and not on I/O or
>> a bad algorithm, then you are qualified... to submit a bug report to the
>> language developers so they can fix it.  Anything else is just bogus.
> okay, we like really far away from original thread, i said that
> SpamAssassin runs really slow for me and on top of that I even found
> which plugin causing that, which is this:
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DNSEval
> I had to disable it, if someone can suggest something in order to make
> it work faster i'm all ears

We run four servers with SA and check every message. After blocking, we
see 30k to 50k a day actually make it to SA testing. Each of those
servers use a local DNS cache witch is cycling around every 15 minutes.
The local DNS cache is reaching out to a common DNS cache inside the
same network which is doing all the outside DNS lookups for mail
services. The common cache is cycling around once an hour.

SA routinely takes less than a second per message with several URLs in
the message. Does that help?

"Posterity, you will know how much it cost the present generation to
preserve your freedom.  I hope you will make good use of it.  If you
do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to
preserve it." John Quincy Adams

View raw message