From Dave Funk <dbf...@engineering.uiowa.edu>
Subject Re: DNS MX Question [OT]
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:02:22 GMT
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Dave Funk wrote:

[snip..]

> It didn't work - but this might be related. I have this in there as wellso
> that all A record subdirs resolve to the same IP.
>
> mail            IN      CNAME   mail.ctyme.com.
> mailman         IN      CNAME   mailman.ctyme.com.
> mailman.mailman IN      CNAME   mailman.ctyme.com.
> ssh             IN      A       65.49.42.101
> ftp             IN      A       65.49.42.101
> www             IN      A       65.49.42.100
> *               IN      CNAME   @

OK, I guess I didn't understand -exactly- what you're trying to do.

If you say "all subdomains" do you mean multiple levels or a single
level?

IE:

  dig example.com mx
to return: preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.example.com

and
  dig anything.example.com mx
to return: preference = 10, mail exchanger = blackhole.example.com

but what do you expect
  dig this.that.example.com mx
to return? What about 5 levels deep? How far down do you plan on
going?

Also do you plan on having -any- other records other than MX in that
dummyed domain? (Based upon your data above it looks like you do,
that complicates the situation).

Get rid of that wild-card CNAME record, replace it with an explicit
MX record pointing to your blackhole server.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>