From Kris Deugau <kdeu...@vianet.ca>
Subject Re: URIBL_BLACK
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:22:22 GMT
Matt Kettler wrote:
> Hmm, I'm not exactly sure why you'd do that. Are you trying to
> distribute updates rule sets over sa-update that contain score mods?

Exactly.

When I came across this the first time, I just created a meta rule with
a score of -1 instead, and that's been working for months now.  Simply
setting scores to static values also works fine.

> In general, the adjustment must be parsed after the rule, so unless you
> can gaurntee the channel is parsed *after* the channel containing the
> rule, it's not a good idea.

So far as I can tell, this should be happening - fwiw, if I manually
munge a score adjustment into already-downloaded .cf files for a
channel, spamassassin --lint is clean...  it's just on *distribution* of
a channel update containing an adjustment that --lint fails.

> But if you're just changing a local box, local.cf is the place it
> belongs in anyway, not in a channel. (a channel used only by one server
> is really silly)

*nod*  If it *were* just one machine, that's what I'd do.  If it were
just the filter cluster, I'd probably still be happy with "make changes
on machine A, rsync to machines B, C, and D".  But I've also got several
more independent servers (one running spamc/spamd, on delivery;  one
calling the SA libraries from MIMEDefang, and one from amavisd-new - all
three are legacy systems still hanging around) that I'd like to push out
common rule updates to.  I *could* fiddle with rsync or wget or RDJ...
but since there's a nice predefined way to distribute rules (and which
I'm already using anyway to keep the stock rules up to date, and to snag
some third-party rulesets), I might as well take advantage of it.

-kgd