From "Dan Barker" <>
Subject RE: Undeliverable mails
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:45:20 GMT
That's exactly what VBounce is for. If a bounce message does not contain
your MTA, it's either backscatter (safe to delete) or useless (from AOHell,
for example). If you can't track the source, you don't need to see it. I get
about 10 legitimate bounces a day, and VBounce takes care of about 200
I can read 10 messages, I can't read 200. The bounces I see are usually due
to messages sent by my webserver (password request) by folks who type their
email address incorrectly. The Backscatter was a big problem until I started
using the VBounce rules.
Trying to educate the sysadmins producing the backscatter is a hopeless
cause (imo).

From: Jack Gostl []
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 10:05 AM
To: spam
Subject: Undeliverable mails

I'm not sure if this can even be handled, but I thought I'd put it out
Someone is using our email address to originate spam. We are getting bombed
with "Mail undeliverable" etc. messages from failed spam delivery attempts.
This morning I check my inbox and found almost 100 of these since last
I'm not sure what can be done about this. I'm a bit squeamish about just
knocking this stuff out in procmail.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

View raw message