From mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>
Subject Re: Discussion side point: levels of Trust
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:03:53 GMT
Linda Walsh wrote:
> Matthias Leisi wrote:
>> 1) This advice:
>> | Tue Jun 10 14:55:36 2008 [72096] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not
>> | configured; it is recommended that you configure trusted_networks
>> manually
>>
>> should not be ignored. Setting trusted_networks would slightly reduce
>> the number of DNS lookups and can avoid all sorts of funny error
>> situations.
> ========
>
>     How does one decided on 'trust'?  I.e. I think it would be
> useful to assign a probability to "Trust" at the least.  I mean do I put
> my ISP in my trusted server list?   -- suppose they start partnering with
> an ad-firm?  Or.. get bought-out?

if they forge headers in mail you get, then you have a bigger problem
than just spam. and in most countries, such an ISP can be sued. it's one
thing to send spam. it's another story to falisify data. you don't even
need to sue. just pass the info to other users. what if the ISP starts
replacing http responses with pages of their own? what if they start
phishing?

> ... I probably won't know most of their
> internal politics...  ISP's in some eastern state have already
> committed to
> filtering arbitrary sites based on local values and arbitrary listing
> policies(?)  This whole 'save-the-child-porn' shtick the government is
> using as a necessary excuse to violate computer privacy is unacceptable.

don't tell me about that. we (in .fr) used to have very good privacy
laws, but it seems these days are gone (or on the way). As B. Franklin
said: People willing to trade freedom for temporary security deserve
neither and will lose both.