From Chris Hoogendyk <hoogen...@bio.umass.edu>
Subject Re: Replies to this list
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:43:07 GMT

Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2008-06-09 09:45:05, schrieb Joseph Brennan:
>
>> I noticed I have to keep editing the To field every time I reply.
>> Why doesn't the list insert a Reply-to directing replies to the list?
>>

> We do not need it since recent/modern MUAs support <Reply-To-List>.
>

>> It does have a Mail-Followup-To field, a proposal from 1997 that was not
>> included in RFC 2822 in 2001, so not surprisingly clients don't know
>> they should use it.  If it was "standardized" in the last couple of
>> years I expect someone here to educate me  :-)
>>

> Sorry, but nearly all recent MUA support MTF.
> Maybe you should upbrade yours?

hmm. Didn't notice "upbrade" rather than "upgrade" until I was actually
replying. ;-)

Anyway, so Thunderbird doesn't qualify on that count.

Nor does Apple's Mail app.

And Eudora is essentially gone now.

So, I'm not sure what you mean by "nearly all recent MUA".

I found an "experimental" add-on (a version 0.3.1) for Thunderbird that
will do it, but unless it's in the MUA as a standard feature, you can't
count on it as a standard behavior. I'll try the add-on, because it may
be easier if it works, but I always do a reply-all and then remove
everything but the list. I think that is what most people who actually
think about it do. But, I get plenty of duplicates from lists that I
participate in, because plenty of people don't think about it.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center