From mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>
Subject Re: Undeliverable mails
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 15:11:24 GMT
Benny Pedersen wrote:
> On Wed, June 4, 2008 16:45, Dan Barker wrote:
>

>> Trying to educate the sysadmins producing the backscatter is a hopeless
>> cause (imo).
>>

> first problem to solve is bounce and not reject

you mean the opposite.
> if sysadmins wonder why there server bounces alot of mail we could reduce the
> problem there

Many don't even know about it until they get a lot of complaints or
their server crashes because of the bounce handling, or is blocklisted...
and while you can try to educate those who were detected to generate
backscatter, it's impossible to educate those who will setup new servers
in the future! The need for a license to administer a mail server should
be required :)

> maybe i am ignorant on that spf is helpfull it is when used, but if not used
> its not much help :/

If they can't configure their system to reject invalid recipients at
smtp time, there is no hope that they will setup SPF checking correctly!