From Marc Perkel <m...@perkel.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for free mail domain DNS list
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 15:39:33 GMT

Henrik K wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:09:40AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> In the freemail plugin rather that listing all the domains in the plugin
>> I propose a network of DNS servers that list the names using rbldnsd. We
>> also have a central location where we maintain the list. That way the
>> list can be updated faster and people have current information. I
>> suggest someone (I'll do it if no one else wants to) host the list in a
>> flat text file and/or compressed text file that can be downloaded http.
>>
>> Anyone else like this idea?
>>

> I'm still in process of donating my plugin to SA. I just want to be sure to
> fix all issues before it.
>
> I think a better way of updating would be to move all the domains out from
> FreeMail.pm to a cf file that would be distributed among normal SA rule
> updates. I don't think the data changes that much to be worthy of wasting
> DNS bandwidth.

It's true that the data for this file doesn't change that often. However
one of the things I'm trying to do is get some kind of coordinated
information structure created to maintain informational lists that can
be used for spam filtering. And not just be SA but also Exim rules and
other software. Sort of along the idea of URIBL information. One thing I
have ad would like to see expanded is my white list of domain names that
you can rely on as always good if the FCrDNS matches.