From Jamie Griffin <ja...@fastmail.net>
Subject query with error message in mail log file
Date Sat, 07 Jun 2008 23:23:45 GMT
Hi

I just wanted to ask a question about an error message I've seen in my
log file (/var/log/mail.log).

Here is the Error log:

.
Jun  7 13:23:32 fastmail spamd[2763]: Error creating a DNS resolver
socket: Network is unreachable at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/DnsResolver.pm line 233.
Jun  7 18:55:13 fastmail spamd[2798]: Error creating a DNS resolver
socket: Network is unreachable at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/DnsResolver.pm line 233.
Jun  8 00:05:03 fastmail spamd[2763]: Error creating a DNS resolver
socket: Network is unreachable at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/DnsResolver.pm line 233

The time stamps you see there are when i have booted up my laptop; i do
not get any other SA error logs after this point throughout the session.

I've only been using SA for a couple of days now. It was installed by
default on my Debian lenny system and i followed the following 'how to'
to get it up and running:

http://people.debian.org/~andrelop/txt/spamassassin-debian.txt

My mail is polled from a remote imap server by fetchmail; it's then
passed to postfix; then to procmail; to SA for filtering and back to
procmail. I believe my email provider do have their own spam filtering
in place but i am still getting some, hence why i thought i'd use SA
locally as well.

The SA version is: spamassassin --version
SpamAssassin version 3.2.4
  running on Perl version 5.10.0

I have searched on google and looked at the SA website, but i can't find
any coherent info that explains these error logs. Would someone be able
to explain them to me and if they mean there's a problem I'd appreciate
if you could help troubleshoot and remedy the problem.

TIA

Jamie

--
gpg: C1388F87