From Bob McClure Jr <...@bobcatos.com>
Subject Re: general questions abour spamc/spamd
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 14:12:16 GMT
On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 04:06:02PM -0700, Ibrahim Hashem wrote:
> hi all, i think this is my 1st mail..
>   here's the problem i'm facing
>
> i want to know how to setup or configure spamc in detailed
>   and is it related that much to configuring the procmail ??

You don't mention your OS or distribution, so it's hard to provide
specifics.  The way I run it on RedHat/Fedora/CentOS is to run spamd
and call spamc from each user's .procmailrc like this:

======== 8< -------------
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
# LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
LOGFILE=/dev/null

# Put any rules to bypass SA here, e.g.
:0:

:0fw
| spamc

# Any spam with 9 or more * will be summarily punted.
:0 H
/dev/null

# Uncomment this to divert remaining spam to a spam bucket.
# Else it goes to your mailbox.
# :0:
# * ^X-Spam-Status: Yes
# $HOME/Mail/caughtspam
======== 8< -------------

>   another question
>   who recieves the mail from the clients as first time?? is it spamc or spamd??

Not sure I understand, but I think the answer is spamc, which feeds it
to spamd.  Then spamd filters it and returns it with the desired spam
markup.

>   then how does it cycle to get to the recipient client??

After it comes back from spamc, what happens depends on the following
procmail "recipes".  You can divert it, delete it (to /dev/null), or
send it on to the recipient.

Cheers,
bob@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of
heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are
just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.
Daniel 4:37 (NIV)