From "Bret Miller" <bret.mil...@wcg.org>
Subject RE: URIWhois-0.02
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:15:33 GMT
Perhaps rather than arguing about whether we'd all get blocked by running
this, it would be more productive to lobby a registrar to provide the data
in rsynch-able form to URIBL or SURBL where DNS infrastructure could be used
to make the data available for such a use. Maybe none will cooperate, maybe
one will.

We can agree that

1. Querying whois directly is a bad idea if you have significant mail
volume.

2. Whois data (namely, the domain creation date) can provide a hint that the
URI might point to a spammer site.

So, how can we get whois data without going directly to whois for every
query?

Bret