From Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bai...@BUC.com>
Subject RE: SA user users whitelist @ SMTP time
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:07:07 GMT
Paul Griffith wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:49:33 -0400, Bowie Bailey
> <Bowie_Bailey@buc.com> wrote:
>
> > Paul Griffith wrote:
> > > Greetings SA users,
> > >
> > > I have a question that many of you have had to deal with. In our
> > > setup we use Exim to call SA. Here is the issue, we reject
> > > anything over a score
> > > 5.0. If a user that is in my whitelist sends a spammy e-mail with
> > > a score over 5.0, the mail is rejected.
> > >

> > > i.e
> > >
> > > This is what happens now.
> > >
> > > spammy e-mail -> MTA -> spamd (score > 5.0) - mail rejected
> > > spammy e-mail -> MTA -> spamd (score < 5.0) - accept mail and
> > > check user prefs
> > >
> > > Can SA be setup to check the user whitelist before it assigns the
> > > final score ? Maybe this question is more for the exim list ?
>

> > It sounds like you are using Exim's whitelist.  If this is the
> > case, you will need to modify Exim to avoid spam checking messages
> > that are in the whitelist (or at least prevent it from rejecting
> > them based on the score).
> >
> > You don't have this problem if you use SA's whitelists.  They simply
> > subtract 100 from the score if the user is in the whitelist.
> >

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the response, but we are not using Exim's whitelist, but
> we are thinking we may have to create some kind of per user white
> list in Exim to  get around this problem.
>
> By SA's whitelist are you refering to the global SA whitelist
> (local.cf) ?

If you are not using Exim's whitelist, then where do you define the
whitelist that you referred to?

I was referring to any whitelist defined in SA.  This could be in
local.cf or one of the user_prefs files.  SA evaluates all the rules
(including whitelists) before it returns a score.  So if you use any of
SA's whitelist_from_* rules, it will result in a lowered score and a
non-spam status for users that match the whitelist.

--
Bowie