From Dallas Engelken <dall...@uribl.com>
Subject Re: URIWhois-0.02
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:40:27 GMT
Robert - elists wrote:
>> DOB, for example, is run by ar.com, who are a registrar.  Since they are a
>> domain registrar, they have full, direct access to the whois database.
>>
>> Jeff C.
>>

> Well there ya go Jeff...
>
> Become a registrar and bam! More data to help you cause

Thats the easy answer, but do you know what it costs to become a registrar?

Just for com/net from verisign you have $6500 up front, and $4k
recurring.   To get your icann credentials, you have $2500 up front with
application,  $4k yearly.  A variable fee to icann once you start
registering domains,  and obviously the $0.25/registration that goes to
icann.   You also have to be able to show $70,000 in  working capital.

And that only gets you com and net.   I'd want org from pir,  info from
afilias,  and any other tld that takes alot of abuse (cn is big right now).

At least those fees keep the bad guys from becoming registrars too.

--
Dallas Engelken
dallase@uribl.com