From Bob McClure Jr <>
Subject Re: Maybe I'm dense...
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:55:33 GMT
On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 10:44:27AM -0700, winkerbean wrote:
> but I cannot find anything to tell me whether I can use SpamAssassin in my
> situation.  I download my messages from my ISP.  I don't have my own server
> or anything like such.  Can I use SpamAssassin to filter/score my incoming
> e-mail or does it need to be installed on my ISP's server to work?

You can do it locally.  Just install SA, and call spamassassin (or
spamc if you choose to run spamd) from your .procmailrc.  The SA
distribution has a sample set of procmail recipes.

Back when I had an earthlink account, I picked up my mail with
fetchmail, which used procmail to put it in my mailbox.  I punted
anything that scored 9 or more, put the rest of the spam in a
"caughtspam" box for review, and the rest went to my mailbox.