From Anthony Peacock <a.peac...@chime.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Myway.com and RFC-ignorant.org
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 08:26:57 GMT
Hi,

Michael Scheidell wrote:
> [...]

Absolutely agreed!  I wasn't questioning their listing in the
rfc-ignorant.org RBLs.  I was just wondering out loud if anyone had
tried to convince Myway to fix their ways.

Personally I have no qualms about dropping these emails, but you know
users...

> Since you use SPF, you could use whitelist from spf to make sure that
> you aren't allowing in forged myway.com spam.
> Put this in local.cf in ../etc/spamassassin directory where local config
> files are.

This is now what I have done on an individual user basis.  There is no
way I would whitelist the whole of myway.

I generally try to avoid whitelisting if at all possible as I think it
is a very blunt instrument and without SPF easy to fool, and adds an
administrative overhead.  On top of this I use SA via MailScanner so at
the moment any whitelisting was done through the MailScanner rules,
which provided me with consistent log analysis, adding a
whitelist_from_spf into the SA config messes up the reporting and
creates another file that needs maintaining.

I could whitelist these addresses in the standard MailScanner method,
but I like the idea of the extra protection against fraud that SPF provides.

> or
> whitelist_from_spf    remoteuser@myway.com
> (which would be the safest)

This is what I am doing now.

> However, $$$ is the best way to get myway.com to act.
>
> Tell your user to get another ISP.
>
> If myway.com doesn't care about spam, viruses, network abuse then they
> don't care about the internet.
>

> Vote with your feet.

Hmm!  I would love to do this.  I doubt whether my user would be happy
to move him and his family.

--
Anthony Peacock
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples