From "Kristopher Austin" <kristopher.aus...@oc.edu>
Subject RE: Newbie - RBL question
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:29:14 GMT
Dermot,

The easiest way to get the information you are looking for is to run
spamassassin -D --lint.  This should give you a debug output, you can
then look through and find out if something isn't running as expected.

You can also start spamd with -D and it will constantly print out debug
output while messages are sent to it via spamc.

I hope this helps.

Kris

-----Original Message-----
From: Dermot Paikkos [mailto:dermot@sciencephoto.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 10:18 AM
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Newbie - RBL question

Hi

Spamd v3.0  with Exim v4.43 using exiscan patch on SlackWare.

/usr/bin/perl5.8.0 -T -w /usr/bin/spamd -d -s /var/log/spamd.log

I am testing out the above configuration on a stand-alone system. On my
live server (no
spamassassin) I use the rbl option within the mail server (Exim 3.16)
configuration to do
DNS/RBL query on incoming mail. These RBL queries usually result in a
lot of
rejections, more rejections than appear to be happening with my test
configuration.

What I am can't see from the logs (spamd.log and mail logs) on my test
set-up is if
these checks are being done and what if any rejections have taken place
as a result.
The log just reports that the mail that was rejected and scored x. Is
there someway to
confirm that RBL are being used? Can you score the RBL results?

Thanx.
Dp.

========= LOCAL.CF ==============
required_score 9.00
report_safe 0
rewrite_header subject ****SPAM****
skip_rbl_checks 0
bayes_path /usr/exim/.spamassassin/
score FORGED_RCVD_HELO 1.0
# trusted_networks 212.17.35.
# lock_method flock
~~
Dermot Paikkos * dermot@sciencephoto.com
Network Administrator @ Science Photo Library
Phone: 0207 432 1100 * Fax: 0207 286 8668