From "Bill Cole" <billc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Action required: Let's Encrypt certificate renewals
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2019 16:20:05 GMT
On 29 Jan 2019, at 10:25, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> FYI, I think this is your territory, Dave
>
> Bill had some interesting experience with the issue so cc'ing him.

Only "interesting" because I didn't trust the simplicity of the fix.

All I had to do on a fairly recent Certbot/CentOS7 installation was to
update the Certbot package and related Python packages (all in EPEL) and
verify that nothing in the config referenced tls-sni-01 explicitly.
Running 'certbot renew --dry-run' ran happily. This was all in the
LE/Certbot docs referenced in the warning message.

What confused me was that the Apache server in question had a stack of
vhosts, all of which had all port 80 requests redirected (via
mod_rewrite) to their port 443 siblings, all of which required "Basic"
authentication. The LE/Certbot information states that port 80 is
required for http-01 verification, so I didn't see how it could work and
did not see direct evidence of what certbot was doing. Upon closer
investigation, I found that it temporarily wraps the vhost config with a
mod_rewrite redirection of the challenge URL path, cleaning up after
itself when done. A few directories got modified, but no remaining files
were, so the only clear evidence of this was in the certbot debug log.

In short: I expected a failure that I'd need to work around but that
didn't happen. It just worked.

--
Bill Cole