From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: spamassassin.org
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2017 17:06:34 GMT
On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Kevin A. McGrail <kevin.mcgrail@mcgrail.com
> wrote:

> Re: moving the NS records, I'm likely one of the few PMC members *[Working
> to change that with our sysadmins group] left that can speak to this issue
> but defer to a vote.
>
> TL;DR: Don't be in such a hurry to put SA DNS onto ASF Infra. It might
> cause a lot of grief and the grief is currently handled so it has zero net
> gain for a lot of work.

I'm in no hurry, and not forcing any change. It's on you guys, what you'd
like to do. I merely asked for consideration. "Status quo" is totally fine.

> Overall, I don't support changing the status quo and here are the reasons:
>
> - We have just rearchitected around PowerDNS for API calls.  Switching
> would be difficult but not impossible.  But I imagine we won't have APIs
> under Infra.  Ignore that issue for now while you read more bullet points
> below.

Namecheap has an API.

(I've been using it for domain management; found it easy to use, and
customer/API support has been excellent; I believe that over time, we'll
also use it to manage apache.org itself)

> - I don't think it's clear that the master DNS for spamassassin.org is on
> ASF infra as a hidden master now.  It has ALWAYS been there since the
> project moved under the ASF.
>
> - The name servers today share the load and use distributed DNS to Sonic,
> PCCC & ENA.  How is consolidating a distributed, resilient DNS system going
> to improve things?  I'd argue you are putting all the eggs in one basket
> and it's less viable.

Oh, haha... no way am I suggesting we move this to ASF provision. My
current plan is to try and shift all ASF DNS provision over to Namecheap,
who provides an SLA of 100% [1]. I am happy with that one basket, and we'll
be heading in that direction, to reduce our own management/costs for DNS.

The short answer is: the PMC is in charge. Not a problem. My concern is the
reliance on an informal arrangement with 3rd parties that underlies the SA
operations. I've shared that concern, and am now satisfied :-)

Cheers,
-g

[1] https://www.namecheap.com/security/premiumdns.aspx