From Dave Warren ...@thedave.ca>
Subject Re: NOTE: Warning to Abusers of Update Servers
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:46:01 GMT
On 2017-11-25 09:25, Dave wrote:
>>> By the way, a little bit irritated I was about the large number of mirrored rules
tarballs (currently 4413 ones, the oldest from Februar 2007) and the inhomogeneous and at
least to me somewhat unexpected file permissions (partly "write" flag for owner removed, partly
"write" flag also for group set, partly "execute" flag set for owner or even owner, group
and other).

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Jens
>> I too would like to clean up old unused rulesets but Kevin says this causes some
problems.  I would think that if there are no DNS entries pointing to the ruleset, it should
no longer be needed and could be cleaned up from the mirrors.  Still it's only ~330 MB so
not a big deal.
> I had exactly the same thought, concluding with the ultimate size being too small to
stress about.

Or not, looks like a lot of the older data disappeared around 08:30
(UTC). Also, consider this a successful test of my mirror monitoring :)

It'll be interesting to see if anything goes wrong.