From Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>
Subject Mirror bandwidth
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2017 12:26:46 GMT
Now that we have rule updates going, I am seeing about 22 GB of traffic
a day combined on both of my sa-update.ena.com mirrors. This is from
about 20,000 unique IP visits a day.

Currently we have 2 ruleset publishes cron'd each day where the DNS TXT
record is getting updated.  One from the masscheck scoring at 9 AM UTC
and one simple rule promotion at 2:30 AM UTC.

Should we consider not doing the DNS TXT update on the simple rule
promotion since it's not really doing anything and it's only a few hours
from the masscheck update that means something?

Sometime soon I would like to have an SVN-triggered/polled rules
promotion for when devs commit new rules.  Right now it's just a daily
cron job that is not smart enough to know if there were any real rule
changes so all it's doing now is using unnecessary bandwidth on the
mirrors, IMHO.

Dave