From "Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: Re: Copy of the current SA Zone?
Date Tue, 02 May 2017 13:39:17 GMT
On 5/2/2017 9:31 AM, Dave Jones wrote:

> On 5/2/17 8:20 AM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>> On 5/2/2017 9:14 AM, Dave Jones wrote:
>>> My plan is to setup a script on sa-vm1.apache.org that would run
>>> daily and email if there are record differences since we don't have
>>> control of the public DNS servers.
>>
>> I seem to remember that they might use cron syncs and not respond to
>> notifies so expect FPs.
>>
> I realize there are some timings involved based on when a change is
> made but we shouldn't get FPs two days in a row.  They should never
> get more than 24 hours behind.  If they are running their cron jobs
> every 15 minutes per your notes/previous email, then the average is
> only going to be 7-8 minutes behind.  The odds of an FP in this case
> should be pretty low.  If this becomes an issue, I can add logic to
> the script to detect different serials and do a delayed retry an hour
> later or something.
That might not be accurate built on an assumption that they have 15
minute crons.  Did I say 15 minutes?

We publish releases every day so the zone changes every day.  I do not
know how often they run crons but the lag was not like it is with my
name servers with slaves/public/hiddens with notify and fairly instant
updates.

We can work to improve it if Hyperreal and Sonic are game but I'm
worried you are just going to have a script always saying we are out of
sync.

--
Kevin A. McGrail
Asst. Treasurer, Apache Software Foundation