spamassassin-dev mailing list archives

From "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <>
Subject Re: NOTICE: SpamAssassin 3.3.0 mass-checks now starting
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2009 03:25:43 GMT
On 16/09/2009 5:48 PM, Warren Togami wrote:
> Let's process the uploaded corpora and see how well the generated scores
> do.  It will probably be better than the ancient 3.2.x with all these
> bug fixes?  Just get it out the door, then focus on cleaning up the
> documentation/tools and recruiting a greater variety of corpus or
> masscheck participants.

IMO score generation is not something we should take, nor have in the
past taken, lightly.  I'm not sure how we "would see how well the
generated scores do" before potentially inflicting pain on the user
base.  A bad score set could have a drastically bad result on the end
product.  The 3.2 scoreset may be old, but it's known to be pretty safe
for not catching ham.  Generating scores with a small collection of ham
increases the risk of ham being caught by the wider user base.

> If we improve the masscheck sample size substantially, we could safely
> redo the scores entirely for 3.3.1.

I have no objection to frequent updates to the scoreset provided they
are quality updates.

View raw message