spamassassin-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>
Subject Re: net mass-checks triggering (URI)DNSBL provider blocks?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 06:54:29 GMT
Quoting Matthias Leisi <matthias@leisi.net>:

> > I couldn't say for sure what a safe level of queries would be. If I were
> > to guess, I'd say somewhere under 20,000 per 24 hour period.
>
> Speaking for dnswl.org, we consider sites[*] with > 100k queries per 24
> hour as "heavy users" who should rsync our data and run a local mirror.

This pretty much agrees with SURBL policies.  However IMO blacklist operators
should probably make exceptions for open source anti-spam research purposes
such as the SA mass checks and allow rsync access for your test servers' local
DNS servers.  Spamhaus ought to see the value in that too.

Cheers,

Jeff C.

P.S. SURBL is starting to ask for donations from large ISPs and anti-spam
vendors.   We intend to use that to offset some of our time and expenses while
continuing to provide free DNS access for smaller users, i.e., something like
the previous Spamhaus model.