spamassassin-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>
Subject Re: Announcing SpamCopURI 0.08 support of SURBL for spam URI domain tests
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:52:31 GMT
On Friday, April 2, 2004, 3:27:13 PM, Justin Mason wrote:
> Jeff Chan writes:
>> Does anyone have any data about the persistence of spam URI
>> domains?  I'll even settle for any data about spam web server
>> IP addresses.  :-)

> I've seen the same domain being used for several months.

Thanks much for the feedback. Can you cite some persistent
spam domains?

I'd like to check their histories against my data from SpamCop
reporting.  We have enough history built up that I should be able
to see if they would have fallen off my lists at certain points
due to our relatively short expiration.  I might be able to use
that information to tune the expirations better.

> BTW I would suggest a TTL in the list of at least 1 month for reported
> URIs.  If you're worried about FPs hanging around for long, provide a very
> easy removal method (e.g. web form or email). Don't bother trying to
> assess the spamminess or otherwise of the requester, just remove the URL
> ASAP (and log the action, of course).

> Side issue: why use easy removal without questions? Spammers do not have
> the bandwidth to remove themselves from every list.  If they *do* go to
> the bother, and a URL does get removed, then repeatedly crops up in spam
> again, it should be raised as an alarm -- and possibly brought to the
> notice of other people -- e.g. this list or others.

> If it really is a spammy URL and the spammer just keeps removing it, I'd
> imagine the URL would be noted as such and quickly find its way into
> systems that *don't* offer easy removal. ;)  If it isn't a spammy URL,
> then you've saved yourself a lot of FPs and annoyed users, without
> requiring much legwork on your part.

> Basically the philosophy is to make it easy for anyone to remove an
> URL from the list.

It's a useful approach to know about.  I'm sure as I get more
experience I'll be better able to make judgements about what
can work best.  It definitely helps to have input from the
"spam war veterans" so I appreciate it!

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan