spamassassin-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>
Subject Re: Announcing SpamCopURI 0.08 support of SURBL for spam URI domain tests
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2004 00:42:34 GMT
On Friday, April 2, 2004, 3:52:31 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> We have enough history built up that I should be able
> to see if they would have fallen off my lists at certain points
> due to our relatively short expiration.  I might be able to use
> that information to tune the expirations better.

After I wrote this I remembered a strategy someone else may have
suggested here earlier (unfortunately can't remember where I
first saw it): make the expiration tied to the amount of
reporting.  That could make SURBL somewhat self-tuning:

1.  Domains with many reports over a short period of time
probably really are spam domains and would get a longer
expiration.  I.e., with a longer expiration we keep watching
this domain for a longer period of time, making it easier
to catch repeat offenses and keep the domain on the list for
longer.  Something like an inverse logarithmic function
where the input is the spam count and the output is the
number of days to keep it on the list might be nice.

2.  Domains with fewer reports get a shorter expiration.
This lets FPs roll off the list sooner, all automatically.

In other words we don't let small things bother us for
very long, but big offenders get the big hairy eye on
them for a long time.   How does this sound?

Something that should probably be clarified about our
expirations is that they are "refreshed" by fresh spam.
If a domain keeps getting more than 10 spam reports over
a 4 day sliding window (current values), it will *stay on
the list for longer than 4 days*.  Domains stay on the list
for as long as a certain rate of reports keep coming in,
which could in principle be forever.

It's not like the domains automatically get off the list
after 4 days.   If reports keep coming in, they stay on
the list.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan