spamassassin-dev mailing list archives

From Alexis Rosen <ale...@panix.com>
Subject Re: [alexis@panix.com: Fwd: Reminder: SpamAssassin needs your help!]
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:37:11 GMT
On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 05:40:35PM -0700, Kelsey Cummings said:
> And, for that matter, at this point most (all?) NFS implementations
> implement locking anyway.  It'd be fairly easy to add this to the tests.

Yes, but be cautious. Locking over NFS has been claimed to work successfully
for many years, and yet odd failures would pop up again and again. I'm
thinking back to the SunOS 4 days, of course, but I'm still skeptical. IIRC,
someone wrote a well-received paper many years ago (12? 15?) that proved
mathematically that nfs locking was impossible to do correctly 100% of the
time. Best to offer people the choice. This is mail and users/customers tend
to get bent out of shape when it gets lost...

(BTW, I have no idea if the same issues exist in NFSv4. I would be unsurprised
either way.)

/a