sling-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Schaefer <schaef...@me.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [discuss] Migrating the Sling Starter to the Feature Model
Date Mon, 11 May 2020 16:50:02 GMT
Hi Robert

Thanks for the nice rundown here but I think it is slightly "behind the curveā€.

The current Kickstart project will:
- take the Provisioning Model (PM) files and convert them into a Feature Model (FM) files
- aggregates the FM files into a single FM (feature-sling12.json)
- launches the Sling with the Feature Launcher with the feature-sling12.json
- has the ability to launch Sling12 with a FAR file if provided
- run Sling in the background as a service (if needed) (-s option)
- can obtains status and stop a launched instance
- add additional FMs (custom projects) to the launch (-af option)

Right now this is only tested for oak_tar but there it works like a charm.

Down the road I would like the Kickstart to be able to launch Sling with a composite node
store (read-only libs, writable content) w/o any user interaction.

From my point of view the coding part of Phase 1 and 2 is mostly done.

These are the next step I see:
- add support for analyzer (when I created Kickstart the analyzer was not working properly
so I took it out)
- test Kickstart with oak_mongo
- add composite node-store support to Kickstart
- migrate Sling Modules to creating FMs
- aggregating Sling based on FMs directly (no PMs involved)
- lots and lots of documentation

In my view each Sling Module should create their own FM that includes all the configurations
(Service User Mappings etc) and the repoinit it needs to run properly. With that building
Sling is a mere aggregation of the desired FMs with some minor overarching configurations
and repoinit statements.

- Each Sling Modules create its FM
- Kickstart aggregates these Sling Module FMs into Sling FM
or
- Kickstart downloads the Sling FM from a release from a remote Maven repo
- Kickstart launches that Sling FM

The crucial part is that the resulting FM of a Module is added to Maven repository during
a release so that users can download them from a remote Maven repo during the Kickstart aggregation
without having to build each module on their own.

- Andy