sling-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Schaefer <schaef...@me.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [discuss] Migrating the Sling Starter to the Feature Model
Date Mon, 11 May 2020 20:43:32 GMT
Hi Robert

I think there is a misconception what the Kickstart is. Here is my rundown:

- Provides a Sling FM
- Creates a Control Thread
- Offers Sling specific CLI options and converts them to Sling properties
- Launches Sling through the Feature Launcher
- Provides the ability to access Sling running in another thread

Because of the current situation it also does that:

- Provides a mean to convert Sling PMs to FMs
- Aggregates these FMs

That said this is just temporary and should go away as soon as Sling is Feature Model-yfied.

I am not sure how Sling is used in production environments (beside Peregrine) but I assume
customers use Sling Start one way the other even if they create their own PM(s) to launch
it with the Starter (Peregrine does that).
The Kickstart can take a custom Sling FM (override the packaged one) as well as custom project
FM(s).

As a user I do not want to hunt down the properties on how to launch Sling but rather have
an option in a Start (here Kickstart).
Instead of “-Dsling.port=8080” something like “-p 8080” would be better especially
because the Kickstart expose these options with the “—help”” option.

The Kickstart project does not compete or shadow any of the feature tooling but rather leverages
them. In addition support for Composite Nodestores is something the Feature Launcher cannot
do and would require scripts to run which are harder to manage for an admin.

Cheers - Andy