sling-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss] (SLING-8350) Switch the Sling starter to the feature model
Date Fri, 08 May 2020 23:41:18 GMT
Hi Ruben,

On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 10:55 -0700, Ruben Reusser wrote:
> Robert,
>
> you mentioned bringing this discussion to the dev mailing list (hope
> did this the right way)
>
> > - kickstart launcher (fat JAR)
>
> I am not sure why you think the kickstarter is a fat jar. It relies
> on a
> feature file for sling and the feature launcher. It's main purpose is
> provide the same command line argument interface as the
> apache.sling.starter on top of the feature launcher as the feature
> launcher is rather limited in that regard. Also note that once the
> feature launcher with FAR support is released the kickstarter will
> also
> support FARs.

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. I'm slowly trying to better understand
how things fit in the picture, and I had the impression that the
kickstart launcher was the complete equivalent of the launchpad jar.

I think both the kickstart and the feature launcher have their place in
the Sling space. But I still don't claim to understand things
completely :-)

I think this is the point where someone says 'enough emails, someone
should go write a Wiki page. I'll try and summarise the current status
and the options that I'm aware of and come back to the dev list.

I think from a technical point of view we are close enough to having a
proper alternative to the feature model based starter to start drawing
up a concrete proposal.

Thanks,
Robert