sling-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Starter] Startup detection not working reliable anymore
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2020 08:28:29 GMT
Thanks Konrad,

I'm struggling a little bit here as this worked with the initial version
we had - that was not a sophisticated implementation but did the trick
and most importantly did not present exceptions on startup to
potentially new users.

It seems we now have switched to a general approach which doesn't solve
the simple use case anymore but instead requires changes to other parts
as well.

I'm not saying that the general approach is wrong or the additional work
is wrong, but the simple use case for the starter could be achieved with
a much simpler solution without annoying users.

Regards
Carsten

On 02.03.2020 09:12, Konrad Windszus wrote:
> This has been adjusted in the context of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-8418
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-8418>.
> I think the exceptions are related to the order: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-8355
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-8355>.
> Maybe Georg can explain the exceptions a bit better...
>
> Konrad
>
>> On 2. Mar 2020, at 09:06, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> some time back we added a mechanism that - on startup of the starter application
- display a screen telling the user that the server is starting up.

>> Over time this mechanism got changed - I don't know what exactly it is using today
- but it is not working reliable anymore. If you hit refresh you are presented with different
exceptions. Eventually, after pressing refresh some more times, the startup page is there.

>> This means, depending on when you open the browser, you either get the startup notice
or an exception - clearly not a great user experience.