sling-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Feature archives, launcher and Sling Starter
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2020 15:45:08 GMT
On 26.03.2020 16:25, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-03-26 at 15:48 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> I actually started writing that we need a script, but decided against
> it, but if I'm not the only one thinking about it, maybe there's some
> value it in.

:)

> Karaf (and probably others) have a couple of helper scripts, and we
> might consider that as well, with a zip structure such as:
>
> bin/
> \- sling.sh
> \- sling.bat
> launcher/
> \- launcher.jar
> \- framework.jar
> features/
> \- feature-a.zip
> \- feature-b.zip
> \- feature-c.zip

Right, that would be like a starter distribution (or whatever we call it).

> Of course, that is something for a second step. You mentioned n feature
> files. In this feature archive scenario, do you still see the features
> generated from the starter or would they be moved somewhere else?

That's a good question; ideally the starter would aggregate features
defined elsewhere and maybe add a little bit on top. For example, we
could have a webconsole feature, a jsp feature etc. Similar to what Oli
is doing with the karaf features - and we could also generate the Karaf
features out of the feature model to avoid duplicate efforts.

Today, its nice and easy, as we have a single location to update a
feature : the starter project. Having this spread or somewhere else
creates probably a maintenance problem and features will get faster out
of date than today. So its probably good to keep the features in the
starter project but have a nice set of them (which we kind of already
have today) and downstream users can also pick and choose from them.

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler