sling-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Feature Model] Feature Archive?
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2020 06:08:19 GMT
If no one objects, I'll add an archive reader/writer to our feature IO
model; the code is pretty similar to that one from the provisioning model.

I suggest we use the extension "far" (no, there is no fourth letter) for
the feature archives.

Regards
Carsten

On 17.02.2020 12:22, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> The archive acts like a distribution unit, instead of giving out the
> model and requiring that the recipient also fetches all the individual
> artifacts from "somewhere", you get everything in a single unit.
>
> So the archive is useful independent of installation.
>
> The installer is one way of using these archives at runtime. You could
> also think of that you can launch an application based on a set of
> archives. A tool could just extract all the archives into the file
> system and then launch the app using the launcher.
>
> Regards
> Carsten
>
> On 17.02.2020 11:24, Robert Munteanu wrote:
>> Hi Carsten,
>>
>> On Mon, 2020-02-17 at 08:52 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with the older provisioning model we support an archive containing a
>>> provisioning model and all contained artifacts ([1] and [2])
>>> In addition we have a plugin for the OSGi installer which allows to
>>> install such artifacts ([3]).
>>>
>>> The question is if we want to support something similar with the
>>> feature
>>> model?
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>> IIUC, the code creates an archive that can then be deployed to a
>> running instance? Is there anything else that it can do?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Robert

Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland