sling-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Schaefer <schaef...@me.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Promote sling-org-apache-sling-feature-starter / sling-slingstart-feature-maven-plugin to its own Sling Module
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2020 20:48:00 GMT
Hi

I created a simple project that illustrates on how the Sling Feature Starter and the Slingstart
Feaute Maven Plugin can be used:

https://github.com/schaefa/sling-fm-sample <https://github.com/schaefa/sling-fm-sample>

The README.md has the instructions on how to build, launch and access it.

- Andy

> On Jan 27, 2020, at 9:28 AM, Andreas Schaefer <schaefera@me.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi Carsten
>
> Yes, you could say that. It provides these additional features:
>
> - Executable Jar file
> - Provides a Sling 12 FM
> - Allows to execute Sling in the background with a listening port for management
> - Allows to stop the Sling instance from another process / terminal
> - Part of the Sling Start Feature Maven Plugin as it needs to execute Sling in the background
and then end it at the end

> If you are thinking to incorporate this into the Feature Launcher that is fine with me.
>
> - Andy
>
>> On Jan 22, 2020, at 10:23 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> thanks, so the feature starter is - simplified - an improved feature launcher already
containing all the required pieces including a basic feature model. Is that correct?

>> Regards
>> Carsten
>>
>> On 23.01.2020 01:42, Andreas Schaefer wrote:
>>> Hi Carsten
>>> That is not what I had in mind. The Feature Starter is only containing the Feature
Launcher and its necessary components to get it working (extensions) and the Sling FM file.
The rest is downloaded and started through the Feature Launcher as if you started it with
the Feature Launcher.
>>> The JAR file has two options:
>>> 1) Provide an override of the Sling FM to run your very own Sling or Sling /
Customized FMs
>>> 2) Provide additional FMs to add your customized FMs to the released Sling FM
/ instance
>>> The rest of the options are the same as for the Sling Starter even though the
Launcher Home is not supported yet.
>>> This means that a user can either start Sling or can start its own project(s)
+ Sling with the Sling Feature Starter.
>>> - Andy

you clone/fork the feature-starter project, add your own feature models and build the project,
right? So this is kind of a template for an own application project.

project, which is the demo application we have?

models and build a startable jar (and a webapp which we don't need to support for feature
models right now). You can then use this jar without any tooling.
is not just a test but rather the official way to start Sling XX. It does have the option
to add additional Feature Models (customer FMs) to the startup and we can also add startup
scripts so that it can be launched as a Unix style service.

also creating the startable jar?

to think is good), I'm a little bit worried about "org-apache-sling-feature-starter" - The
current starter project is a demo setup for Sling, making it easy to try out and test Sling.
master branch of "sling-org-apache-sling-starter" and we move current master branch to a "provisioning-model"
branch.

and sling-slingstart-feature-maven-plugin to their own Sling Module. This first module is
the Feature Model counterpart of the sling-org-apache-sling-starter and will create an executable
JAR file. The second is the counterpart of the sling-slingstart-maven-plugin which will start
and stop a Sling Instance from a Maven run and is mostly used to run Integration Tests.
under 'sling-org-apache-sling-feature-starter` folder
under 'sling-slingstart-feature-maven-plugin` folder
Feature counterparts. The modules work but the are not finished. The Sling Feature Starter
is actually using the Sling Start Feature Maven Plugin to run the IT tests.