sling-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Schaefer <schaef...@me.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Feature Launcher System in a Background Thread, where?
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2020 16:41:07 GMT
Hi

> On Jan 8, 2020, at 8:23 AM, Robert Munteanu <rombert@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2020-01-08 at 08:01 -0800, Andreas Schaefer wrote:
>> The Sling Starter for FM will create an executable JAR file so that
>> Sling can be launched with: ‘java -jar <sling jar file>’.
>
> Right, good point. So basically we need code that
>
> - creates an executable jar file from a set of feature model files

This is in place - see Sling Whiteboard / sling-org-apache-sling-feature-starter

> - creates a WAR file from a set of feature model files

Pending

> - matches the launch behaviour of the current Sling Starter jar

The code in place is more or less a copy of the Sling Starter project with some additional
parameter that are specific for FMs like providing its own Main and Additional FM files. I
also migrated the code to use picocli to make handling of the parameters are little bit more
straightforward.

>> Also the Feature Launcher does not support to be launched in the
>> background and so it cannot used as an IT test vehicle like the
>> Slingstart Maven Plugin (Start / Stop Mojo).
>
> Can we use forking instead? Alternatively, we need to review and update
> the feature launcher to be more embeddable. Not sure if there is
> anything to be done besides extracting a class that takes arguments out
> of the current main class.

In my view this would be a feature that the Feature Launcher should provide so that any application
handled by the Feature Launcher can be run in the background. This would require to add a
control socket and a background thread so that it stays up and running and can be stopped.
If that is not desired I will add this to the Sling Starter.