sling-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Schaefer <schaef...@me.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Feature Launcher System in a Background Thread, where?
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2020 23:18:24 GMT
Looking into the Sling Feature Launcher I just realized that this is a Sling specific Launcher
and so my point of making available to other FM application is mute.

If I am not mistaken the best place to put the Demon process handling is the Framework Runner
as the application is launched there as well as the Shutdownhook is added.

Currently I am working on integrating the ControlListener into the FrameworkRunner to see
if that works well. It might be possible to run the Feature Runner with the Control Listener
outside which I will check out as well.

- Andy

> On Jan 8, 2020, at 8:41 AM, Andreas Schaefer <schaefera@me.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
>> On Jan 8, 2020, at 8:23 AM, Robert Munteanu <rombert@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2020-01-08 at 08:01 -0800, Andreas Schaefer wrote:
>>> The Sling Starter for FM will create an executable JAR file so that
>>> Sling can be launched with: ‘java -jar <sling jar file>’.
>>
>> Right, good point. So basically we need code that
>>
>> - creates an executable jar file from a set of feature model files
>
> This is in place - see Sling Whiteboard / sling-org-apache-sling-feature-starter
>
>> - creates a WAR file from a set of feature model files
>
> Pending
>
>> - matches the launch behaviour of the current Sling Starter jar
>
> The code in place is more or less a copy of the Sling Starter project with some additional
parameter that are specific for FMs like providing its own Main and Additional FM files. I
also migrated the code to use picocli to make handling of the parameters are little bit more
straightforward.

>>> Also the Feature Launcher does not support to be launched in the
>>> background and so it cannot used as an IT test vehicle like the
>>> Slingstart Maven Plugin (Start / Stop Mojo).
>>
>> Can we use forking instead? Alternatively, we need to review and update
>> the feature launcher to be more embeddable. Not sure if there is
>> anything to be done besides extracting a class that takes arguments out
>> of the current main class.
>
> In my view this would be a feature that the Feature Launcher should provide so that any
application handled by the Feature Launcher can be run in the background. This would require
to add a control socket and a background thread so that it stays up and running and can be
stopped.