sling-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Schaefer <schaef...@me.com.INVALID>
Subject Sling Feature Starter: how to handle it as a Service
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2019 23:16:32 GMT
Hi

Running Sling as a Feature Model Application is not too difficult but I am not sure where
we want to put support for running Sling as a service (start, stop, threaddumps) with the
Feature Launcher.

I would think that it would be best to add this to the Feature Launcher to make it easier
to other projects than Sling to launch their FM projects as a (background) service.

Then there is also the question on how to handle the migration to Feature Models with respect
to Sling Launchpad Base, Sling Starter and the Slingstarter Maven plugin. Are we:
- creating different modules
- creating a higher version of the modules from where we do the cutover
- adding support for both (PM and FM)

For example Launchpad Base version is currently: 6.0.2-2.6.37-SNAPSHOT. We could create a
new version (on a separate branch) like 6.0.2-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT to develop the FM version on
it. Eventually 6.0.2-2.6 will reach the end of its life when PM is not supported anymore and
6.0.2-3.x is then becoming the master branch only supporting FMs.

This only works when we retire PMs for good in a year or so.

Cheers - Andy Schaefer