sling-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Schaefer <schaef...@me.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Sling Feature Starter: how to handle it as a Service
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2019 00:08:32 GMT
To illustrate this I created a simple test to showcase this. What it does is to use the Feature
Main from the Launchpad Base and together with a Sling 12 FM model it will launch Sling 12.

To build do the following:

1. Checkout the Branch ‘feature/SLING-8955-Feature-Launcher-Support’ of sling-org-apache-sling-launchpad-base
module
2. Build it (it will create a version '6.0.2-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT’ so you can easily delete this
from your local maven repo
3. Checkout the latest sling-whiteboard
4. Go to subfolder 'sling-jar-feature-launcher’
5. Build it
6. Go to target sub folder
7. Launch sling with ‘java -jar org.apache.sling.feature.jar.launcher-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar’
8. Sling should launch and be available on http://localhost:8081 <http://localhost:8081/>
(done on purpose to check if I can change the port number)

In the Launchpad Base is tried both (different versions and supporting both PM and FM) approaches.

Cheers - Andy

> On Dec 27, 2019, at 3:16 PM, Andreas Schaefer <schaefera@me.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Running Sling as a Feature Model Application is not too difficult but I am not sure where
we want to put support for running Sling as a service (start, stop, threaddumps) with the
Feature Launcher.

> I would think that it would be best to add this to the Feature Launcher to make it easier
to other projects than Sling to launch their FM projects as a (background) service.

> Then there is also the question on how to handle the migration to Feature Models with
respect to Sling Launchpad Base, Sling Starter and the Slingstarter Maven plugin. Are we:
> - creating different modules
> - creating a higher version of the modules from where we do the cutover
> - adding support for both (PM and FM)
>
> For example Launchpad Base version is currently: 6.0.2-2.6.37-SNAPSHOT. We could create
a new version (on a separate branch) like 6.0.2-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT to develop the FM version on
it. Eventually 6.0.2-2.6 will reach the end of its life when PM is not supported anymore and
6.0.2-3.x is then becoming the master branch only supporting FMs.