sling-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Sedding <jsedd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic Class Loader Manager causes lots of service restarts
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2019 09:09:40 GMT
Thanks Carsten for the hint about how to create artificial bundles on
the fly. As you say refactoring towards that goal would be a
significant undertaking.

Regards
Julian

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 7:34 AM Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 24.10.2019 um 11:29 schrieb Julian Sedding:
> > Thank you for your insights, Carsten! That saves me hitting that wall ;)
> >
> > I'm curious how your idea with artificial bundles would work. Would
> > the scripts in the resource tree be exposed via one or more artificial
> > bundle, each, importing the packages required by the scripts? And then
> > the scripting engines could run the scripts using the bundle class
> > loader of these artificial bundles. Is that right?
> >
> Yes, something along those lines. It makes sense to have more than one
> artifical bundle otherwise again you have one bundle with a very large
> list of imports.
>
> > If that is correct, I guess that would benefit from the upcoming OSGi
> > Connect specification (if I recall the name correctly).
> >
> I assume you mean to install the artificial bundle? This can be done
> without connect as you basically just have to create a jar file with a
> manifest and then pass this as an input stream into the framework to
> install it.
>
> Regards
> Carsten
>
> > Regards
> > Julian
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 12:44 PM Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> As Julian suspected class loaders are caching. Initially we tried just
> >> swapping things in the background but that didn't work due to the class
> >> loader caching and that's out of control.
> >>
> >> A better solution would be to avoid the DCLM completely and rather
> >> leverage OSGi more by for example creating artificial bundles with
> >> imports which are then used by scripting. Similarly all scripts are
> >> currently loaded by a single class loader. If a class changes where just
> >> one of the scripts is based on, everything is still reloaded. That's not
> >> really modular :)
> >>
> >> Or in other words the problem could potentially be solved but that's a
> >> rather larger work. Unless there is something we haven't thought of yet.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Carsten

some issues for me as well. Just invalidating the cache of the DCLM without restarting it
fully sounds reasonable to me, but I am not that familiar with class loader insights. I vaguely
remember that the restart might be necessary due to static cache fields but I don't remember
the details...