sling-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject [Features] Merging Configurations
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2019 06:23:33 GMT
Hi,

when two features are merged (aggregated), configurations are
automatically merged. Meaning if both features have a configuration for
the same PID, the properties from the second feature are put into the
configuration of the first feature, adding and potentially overwriting
values.

However, for everything else (bundles, framework properties, artifacts)
it is up to the caller of the merge functionality to provide guidance
for clashes. Meaning if both features have the same bundle/artifact in
different versions, then there is no auto merge. Same for framework
properties.

It seems a little bit inconsistent that we're using a different approach
for configurations - and it can lead to unexpected results as well.
These might be rare but I would argue they occur as often as the case of
merging features containing the same bundle in different versions.

So I think we should not auto merge clashing configurations. The
question is on which level we handle the clash: we can already refuse to
merge if the same PID occurs - or we refuse if the same property within
a PID occurs?

WDYT?

Regards
Carsten