sling-dev mailing list archives

From Konrad Windszus <konra...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [servlets] SLING-8170 - Allow Sling servlets to declare a resource super type
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2018 18:11:10 GMT
I am not sure I do understand 100% your use case:
How are you supposed to do request dispatching to another servlet then? Only in case request
dispatching is used I see an actual benefit (to only overwrite one part of a servlet but not
another). There you would need to rely on selectors (instead of the script name), right? Maybe
you can give a concrete example on where you think inheritance of servlets would be useful.
Or is your use case more in the AEM area where dialogs, component definitions, ... could be
reused?

Thanks,
Konrad

> On 11. Dec 2018, at 14:58, Radu Cotescu <radu@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’ve recently opened 2 PRs for Apache Sling API and Apache Sling Servlets Resolver.
The goal is the ability to define a way to overlay servlets / delegate to other servlets at
runtime [0], similar to what’s already available for scripts. Besides the overlaying functionality,
this will allow bundled scripts (optionally precompiled) to be able to delegate rendering
to pre-existing servlets / scripts that are not necessarily registered through the new Apache
Sling Scripting Bundle Tracker [1].