sling-dev mailing list archives

From Jason E Bailey <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sling 12 themes
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2018 17:32:44 GMT

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018, at 1:24 PM, Konrad Windszus wrote:
> I would  rather prefer to get rid of a server side postprocessing like
> the rewriter. For HTL I agree with Carsten, we should probably look into
> a generic link rewriting mechanism which allows for custom rewriting
> with a nice HTL plugin. Much less overhead than a Cocoon pipeline which
> needs to deserialize and then serialize again...
> Would be interesting to get forward in that regard with Sling 12.

There is a real world need for html post processing that is not dependent on HTL. The rewriter
is already not a core component and something that is community supported so I don't think
enhancing it should be much of an issue. For what it's worth though I don't like the overhead
of the existing pipeline as it is anyway. HTML doesn't have anything to do with XML anymore.

> For JSON and client side rendering the link rewriting must be rather
> encapsulated on the client side as well. I don’t think Sling should
> provide that functionality as Sling is focusing on the server side.

Missing a point here I think. If you are focusing on link rewriting, that is something that
can only occur on the server side.  Helps with multi-tenancy and cross linking.