sling-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Schaefer <schaef...@me.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Upgrade a site to a new version of Sling
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2018 18:31:37 GMT
From a customer point of view I would like to see something along the line of the in-place
migration of AEM.
This is a scenario I can think of:

1. Sling releases a new version
2. Customer shuts down Sling
3. Customer downloads the JAR / WAR file and replaces the old with the new JAR / WAR
4. Customer starts Sling with the new version
5. Sling uses now the OSGi / Felix from the new version and all the new bundles from Sling(start)
6. Customer migrates its bundles / packages to the new Sling version and installs it (if necessary)

Another issue I ran into with trying to upgrade to a new Sling version (10) is that I had
a hard time to figure out the correct dependencies.
It might be great to have a POM of a Slingstart release with all its dependencies or maybe
an Uber jar with all code merge into it?

Cheers - Andy Schaefer

> On Aug 2, 2018, at 6:18 AM, Jason E Bailey <jeb@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Really, there's so much to this response. I'll try to be as short as possible just to
delineate ideas.

> 1. **Start thinking of Sling as Product**
> 2. Define what should be in the product
> 3. Change how we handle the individual bundles, categorize them better, make the javadoc
available for each bundle directly from the website.

> Sling Start is effectively the Sling release.
>
> Scenario for a Sling Start product.
>
> 1. A major release of Sling Start occurs
> 2. Sling Start is branched for that release.
> 3. Any minor changes to bundles that are added to master can also be added to that release
branch, after a certain amount of bug fixes a release of that branch can occur. And we'd have
a point release. A major bundle change would not go into the release branch, only the master
branch for the next major release of Sling Start.

> I wouldn't say that every bundle update needs to have a release of Sling Start. But if
we've done a release and something doesn't work in that release, then yes that deserves another
release to occur. It should be a given to someone coming to the site that if they download
a release that the functionality that we promise is there and working correctly.

> It also might make sense to have multiple releases representing different needs. One
that is just core necessities, another that has example content, another that is tailored
for need 'x'

> If we have a product centered release, it would be easier for someone downstream to build
on top of it. Although I appreciate and get that launchpad directly should be used by some
products, there's a lot of custom knowledge that someone would have to have to do.