sling-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SLING-7613 - un-deprecating loginAdministrative
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2018 09:25:50 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 1:43 PM Justin Edelson <justin@justinedelson.com> wrote:
> ...Without the deprecation, how will a developer know that they need to
> configure the whitelist? While the deprecation wasn't perfect, at least it
> gave the developer the sense that they were doing something which should be
> avoided. It is unfortunate that deprecation in Java is such a binary
> concept, but it is what it is...

I agree with Justin here, I think our intention is to say "do not use
this method unless you really have to and you know what you are doing"
and also "note that you have to whitelist bundles which uses this".

That's not the standard meaning of a deprecated Java method, but as
Justin says we don't want developers to miss that restriction and
deprecation is a workable (and imperfect) way of doing that.

With this in mind I suggest keeping the deprecation, creating a
website page that explains what it actually means and linking to that
page in the javadocs.

-Bertrand