sling-dev mailing list archives

From Jason E Bailey <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Markdown resource provider
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2018 12:46:32 GMT
In line

- Jason

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, at 7:18 PM, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been toying around with a Markdown resource provider in the
> whiteboard [0]. It's very much a work-in-progress but since it does
> something - aka render Markdown files, including support for arbitrary
> Sling properties, I would like to discuss a couple of design decisions.
>
> 1. The resource is created from a markdown file in the following way:
>
> - if a first level heading is found, place the text into jcr:title
> - if a YAML front matter is found, save the properties in the resource
> properties

Not understanding the phrase "front matter" in it's usage here

> - render everything else as HTML into jcr:description
>
> I am not sure that rendering the markdown in the resource provider is
> the best way. On one hand, it keeps everything simple and does not
> require special work in the rendering script. On the other hand,
> rendering JSON/TXT with HTML inside is not that nice.

I think it depends on the use case.  From my experience there is already a lot of text strings
with HTML inside of it, so I don't see this as something unique. Not looking at the code yet,
but I assume that this is being rendered when the resource is being requested. Which is something
that I would prefer.

> 2. Only files with the 'md' extension are handled, all others are
> ignored.
>
> To generate static sites, usually markdown files are mixed with images,
> css, js files. Does it make sense to 'pass-through' these files and
> expose them as plain files? There could be some ties with the
> FsResourceProvider. Alternatively the static assets can be placed in a
> different subtree.
>
> Thoughts?

My first thought after reading the last paragraph was - Wouldn't it be cool if the FsResourceProvider
was extensible so that specific files could be rendered in a specific manner, then you could
add a MarkDown Handler and it would make it easier for other people to add custom handlers
or to extend existing one for specific requirements.