sling-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Klco <daniel.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION][API][PROPOSAL] Adding Stream<Resource> generator to Sling API
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2018 14:08:24 GMT
On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 9:05 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 3:00 PM, Jason E Bailey <jeb@apache.org> wrote:
> > ...I really don't think creating a dedicated bundle that consists of a
> single class
> > is really appropriate....
>
> That's not necessarily a problem, especially if it's meant to avoid
> touching our api bundle, which we're always quite reluctant to touch
> unless really needed.

I'm of the opinion that it could make sense to update the API to support
streams, but I think first, we should have a stand-alone option. A) this
will help evaluate the best approach for the eventual inclusion into the
Sling API. B) This will also allow developers using older versions of the
Sling API and underling implementations use Lamdba expressions immediately
instead of having to update their stack to support the newest API (which
often will not be possible for people running proprietary software such as
AEM).

> And I suppose your code will have more than that class, in total, so
> maybe you can (at least initially) put that utility class in your main
> bundle if you have one? If you do this you can quietly work on that in
> isolation, and once you have enough to demonstrate the whole thing we
> can discuss how to best organize it.

I'd think you'd need at least the ResourceStream, an adapter factory and
ideally the Predicates from your original project. Ideally, IMO this should
be a "quick start" to using Streams with Sling.

> > ...I've come to realize that I'm doing an extremely poor job at
> explaining
> > the vision behind this and/or communicating the overall benefits...
>
> We're all busy, so maybe we're not paying enough attention...don't despair
> ;-)

I for one am super excited for this. :-) Once the standalone bundle is
ready, it'd be great to provide a few examples of pre and post code using
the Resource Stream API.