sling-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling JCR ContentLoader 2.2.6
Date Wed, 30 May 2018 07:31:54 GMT
Hi,

On Sun, 2018-05-27 at 09:10 +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> FWIW,
> <https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-jcr-contentloader/b
> lob/master/pom.xml>
> shows a few ancient (or even end-of-lifed) Jackrabbit dependencies.
>
> I would recommend to update to the latest stable release applicable
> for
> the Java version you need to support
> (<http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jcr/jackrabbit-roadmap.html>).

I am not sure that this is cause of concern for this particular
release. We only use those dependencies at compile-time so that bnd can
calculate the proper import ranges.

If someone wants to use the content loader bundle in an environment
with a deprecated/out-of-support Jackrabbit version, that's their
problem.

It's the other way around actually :-) - we should declare dependencies
as loosely as possible so that we don't constrain consumers to specific
Jackrabbit/Oak versions.

So IMO the versions are fine just the way they are.

It's worth mentioning that embedding something from an out-of-date
Jackrabbit/Oak version is different and worthy of more scrutiny - but
just compile-time dependencies are just fine.

Robert