sling-dev mailing list archives

From Konrad Windszus <konra...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: JSR 305 annotations (nullability)
Date Tue, 15 May 2018 15:16:47 GMT
IMHO migration from JSR-305 to https://github.com/spotbugs/spotbugs/tree/release-3.1/spotbugs-annotations/src/main/java/edu/umd/cs/findbugs/annotations
<https://github.com/spotbugs/spotbugs/tree/release-3.1/spotbugs-annotations/src/main/java/edu/umd/cs/findbugs/annotations>
is very painless, because the former evolved from the latter. You only need to adjust the
package name but the semantics of the annotations are the same. Also it has most probably
the best tooling/IDE support because those are by far the oldest nullability annotations (invented
by FindBugs before JSR-305 has even been started). Now they are actively maintained by the
spotbugs community. I currently fail to see a better alternative, but I am open to other suggestions.
Konrad

> On 15. May 2018, at 17:12, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> On 2018-05-15 16:39, Konrad Windszus wrote:
>> There are some ideas in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-7312 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-7312>
but not yet a solution, as even the proposed alternative spotbugs-annotations is not yet JSR-305
free (which might be problematic from a licensing point of view). But IMHO the spotbugs annotations
are the best alternative: https://github.com/spotbugs/spotbugs/tree/release-3.1/spotbugs-annotations/src/main/java/edu/umd/cs/findbugs/annotations
<https://github.com/spotbugs/spotbugs/tree/release-3.1/spotbugs-annotations/src/main/java/edu/umd/cs/findbugs/annotations>,
because they are not bound to a specific IDE and are still supported by spotbugs/findbugs.
The only thing I am not sure about is whether SonarQube natively supports spotbugs-annotations.

to (see for instance, <https://github.com/google/guava/issues/2960>).