sling-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where do we put new git modules?
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2018 11:37:12 GMT
On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 15:48 +0000, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Robert Munteanu <rombert@apache.org
> > > wrote:
> > > ...- place it in the whiteboard and move it to a proper repo
> > > before its
> > > first release, with the release manager proposing a name..
> >
> > +1, it's simple and leaves time to make a proper naming decision.
> >
> > -Bertrand
>
> yes, this would avoid making the naming decision early, or even the
> decision to release it at all.
> on the other hand it makes it more difficult if the contribution was
> already developed in a standalone git repo outside the ASF and
> perhaps there is already a commit history we want preserve - getting
> this into the whiteboard master branch in a subdirectory is
> complicated.

We can both import a directory with history and export a directory with
history using Git. Some scripting is required, but I can take care of
that with the first import, documentation included.

The export part is mostly covered in [1] as we took care of the SVN →
Git migration.

The import part is much simpler IIRC, basically

1. git format-patch on the 'source' repo to generate patches for all
commmits
2. git am --directory=new-module-dir on the 'target' repo to apply the
patches to the 'new-module-dir' directory.

Thanks,

Robert

[1]: https://github.com/apache/sling-tooling-scm